Saturday, March 21, 2009

Lessons Learned: Week of March 15

1. Lifting weights and rolling around on the floor with balls and whatnot at the gymnahsium has practical benefits beyond Vanity, namely, one can engage in two four hour sessions of brutal housecleaning in a single day without serious injury. Rearranging furniture, vacuuming everything, scrubbing floors on hands and knees—it can all be done with an ease heretofore unknown.

2. Genetics are a powerful force. My little sister, 14 years my junior, visited for a few days. We live in different cities and have done so since she was eight years old. I lived outside the house for the majority of her earlier years. We resemble each other a little around the eyes, we have the same small faces with little pointy chins and are built roughly the same. The strangest thing is how she has developed what I thought were Ruby® Mannerisms and what I now realize must be floating around the Apolline genome commons somewhere. She cocks her head at the same angle I do, makes my hand gestures and shrugs. She raises her eyebrow the same way I do and in response to similar comments; we both bite our fingernails; she is restless in the same way I am; pouts just like I do, etc. Bizarre.

My mother has identified one of our looks as coming directly from my father, namely, the Apolline Scowl. When my father, brother, sister and I are reading or observing something that is confusing, irritating or otherwise uncool, we scowl at it and crinkle our mouths. Bad thing! You should make more sense!

3. Thanks to Little Sister, my love of Italian women continues unabated. Sophia Loren, Monica Bellucci and now 1960’s Italian pop/cafĂ© jazz singer Mina Brava. Try “Tintarella di Luna,” or “Brava.” On YouTube. Of course.

4. I like a BeyoncĂ© song. There. I said it. Actually, it’s more the video, but I also like the song. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It).” You can find it on YouTube. One of the dancers is a man. Apparently, great dancing, a guy in drag and a fun pop beat are all it takes to overcome my post-modern radical feminist objections to media that strengthen capitalist cultural discourse about the ideal state of compulsory heterosexual monogamy leading to marriage via the barter of sex (woman) for ring (man).

5. On a related point, at first I thought it was odd to play music videos at the gym with the sound turned down so people could watch while harnessed to various torture devices. Then I saw Lady Gaga’s “Poker Face” video. It’s quite awesome, although nothing I’ve seen can compare with The KLF’s “Justified and Ancient (Stand By the Jams) (featuring Tammy Wynette)” video. However, I have questions. Are the red-robed, single-horned guitar players ambassadors from MuMu Land or are they adventurers to MuMu Land? Do the Justified and Ancient live in MuMu Land or are they leaving our land to travel to MuMu Land? Anyway, they drive an ice cream van, so that’s nice.

6. Lady Gaga interests me. I watched another couple videos, including “LoveGame.” Both the latter and the “Poker Face” videos feature Lady Gaga in a series of metallic ensembles evoking a Playboy Bunny/Borg crossbreed, surrounded by a retinue of very attractive male dancers in various states of undress. As they say, what’s not to like?

In addition, Lady Gaga has invented the most creative term for “penis” I have encountered. It is in the chorus of “LoveGame:”

Let’s have some fun
This beat is sick
I wanna take a ride
on your disco stick.
(emphasis added)

7. A gentleman with whom I work has a granddaughter named Mignon. This is beyond annoying.

5 comments:

  1. I have not, but the Internet tells me that it looks quite wonderful. I'll have to check it out, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #2: Genetics are powerful indeed. I suppose one could argue that the similarities between you and your sister stem from being (presumably) raised by the same parents, even years apart, but I don't find that argument very convincing.

    #6: How geeky is it that when I read "Playboy Bunny/Borg crossbreed," I immediately thought of 7 of 9?

    ReplyDelete
  3. castlerook: pretty geeky. I thought that a very apt description of Lady Gaga.

    Susan likes to work out to the dulcet tones of disco remixes of Pink. No videos, though. We both prefer to watch cooking shows, or whatever happens to be on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. The first place I remember noticing that exercise was improving my ability to work was when I worked in the paint store and one day it wasn't a problem to get down to the bottom shelf to get a pint of paint.

    2. My mouth opens and my father speaks. Every day.

    4,5,6: "music video" is a strange oxymoron

    7. Oh God yes. How about naming young ones "Brandy," "Brie," and/or "Skyy." (Yes, with two y's, the vodka brand.) See this article if you dare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my dear, how I have missed your effortless words. I really must devote more time to playing on the interwebz.

    ReplyDelete